Friday, March 21, 2014

Tahitian Lemonade

Another vacation inspired recipe, this time we are doing Tahitian lemonade! It's a bit early in the season for lemonade, but I had a bunch of meyer lemons sitting on the counter, begging to be used up. I may or may not have purchased them with this recipe in mind...

What is Tahitian lemonade? I had never heard of it before either, but was not afraid to try it when given the opportunity. The version I had was very basic: lemon, water, coconut milk, and sweetener. It is sweet and tart and will be great to enjoy on a warm spring afternoon.

The agave in the recipe is really to taste, as some lemons are sweeter than others. The amount I used was perfect to cut through the sourness of the lemon juice and balance the flavors out.

Tahitian Lemonade

Ingredients

  • 1/4 C fresh lemon juice
  • 1/2 C coconut water
  • 2 tbsp coconut milk
  • 1-2 tbsp agave nectar, to taste
  • Ice

Method

  1. Combine all ingredients in a cocktail shaker and shake vigorously for about 10 seconds.
  2. Pour lemonade into a glass filled with ice and serve.

3 comments:

Tammy said...

OMG! How did I never hear of this before? Coconut milk and lemonade. Genuis. Consider my mind blown.

Em said...

This sounds fabulous. I recently read the book "Moloka'i" by Alan Brennert which mentions Tahitian Lemonade. I've lived my life in Hawaii and never even heard of Tahitian Lemonade. Did you create this recipe? Was it inspired by something you had previously? Just wondering if this is a new recipe or vintage. Thanks!!

Lori said...

This is not an original recipe, but was my recreation of the beverage I had at Caffe Coco on Kauai last year. I found the quality of the lemons really makes a difference in the result, so be sure to use the most flavorful lemons you can.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...