Saturday, July 14, 2012

Low Sugar Tayberry Jam

I first discovered tayberries at the farmer's market last weekend, buying a couple cartons on a whim. How bad can summer berries be, after all? And with that one simple purchase, I have a new favorite berry!! The flavor is sweet, almost jam-like in a way, and tastes like a cross between blackberries and raspberries to me. They seem kinda rare, at some very local grocery stores and u-pick farms, and I definitely recommend grabbing a couple pints if you ever come across them.

This is the first time I've used Pomona's Universal Pectin but I must say I am quite impressed! One little box costs around $4, but allows you to make several regular sized batches of jam. The pectin also sets quickly without the need for lots of sugar, resulting in jam that more closely resembles the original fruit.

Low Sugar Tayberry Jam

Ingredients

  • 3 C mashed tayberries
  • 1/2 C sugar
  • 1 tbsp lemon juice
  • 1 tbsp calcium water (included with Pomona's)
  • 1 1/2 tsp Pomona's Universal Pectin

Method

  1. In a large saucepan over medium high to high heat, combine the mashed berries, sugar, lemon juice, and calcium water. Bring mixture to a boil.
  2. Add the pectin and stir until dissolved, about 2 minutes. Bring to a boil again.
  3. Fill sterilized canning jars with fruit mixture, leaving enough headspace for processing (about 1/4"). Seal with lids and bands; process for 10 minutes.

Makes about 4 half pints.

This jam would be fantastic with oatmeal, toast, biscuits, ice cream, or a baked tart!

2 comments:

Tammy said...

Yum that looks good. We must be twins- I picked 6 pints of tayberries on Friday after work and have been devouring them since! And you're right on- the farm lady told me that tayberries are a cross between rasp and black berries.

Lori said...

I'm seriously addicted to these berries!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...