Sunday, May 6, 2012

Multigrain Rice

I've had a 1kg bag of a special 6 grain blend rice in my pantry for probably a year now, using it ever so often when I wanted something different from plain white or brown rice. I used the last of it not too long ago and then set out to make my own version, hoping to never go without it again. The rice has a great, hearty texture to it and a gorgeous purple color from the black Forbidden rice that stains the rice as it cooks.

The Kagayaki 6 Grain Rice I had contained black rice, purple barley, hulless barley, rye berries, red rice, and short grain brown rice. Quite a variety to hunt down in a bulk food section. Unfortunately, while I wasn't able to source all the exact ingredients at my local store, I came out with a pretty nice variety and the result is just as delicious and pretty as the original. Feel free to mix up your own variety, though I recommend to keep the black rice for color.

Hand-blended Multigrain Rice

Multigrain Rice

Ingredients

  • Short grain brown rice
  • Spelt berries
  • Red hard winter wheat berries
  • Pearled barley
  • Black (forbidden) rice

Method

  1. In a large bowl or container, combine equal parts of each ingredient and stir until well blended.
  2. To cook, combine 1 part rice to 1.5-2 parts water. Bring to boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 30-40 minutes, until water is absorbed. Alternatively, cook in a rice cooker. Fluff with fork before serving.

So far I've had this rice a couple times since making it up and I really love it. I can see this quickly becoming my new standard "brown" rice!

1 comment:

Tammy said...

Oooh! Looks good :) I'm curious about purple barley...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...