Monday, January 28, 2013

Warm Wilted Kale Salad with Lemon, Garlic, and Ancho Chili

I've been on a kale kick since I had my first delicious kale salad about a month ago now. Kale used to be one of those foods I wanted to like, but never found the right recipe. My success came first when I warmed up to massaged kale salads which soften the leaves and make it a little less bitter. My favorite this week is a wilted kale salad, lightly sautéed in a pan with olive oil and some spices.

This recipe, surprisingly, was my first attempt at wilted kale salad, but the flavors make kale more universally appealing. Nutritional yeast gives it a slight cheesiness while ancho chili powder gives it a bit of roasted smokiness. Feel free to sub in paprika if you don't have ancho chili powder on hand, I think it would be a nice pairing.

Warm Wilted Kale Salad with Lemon, Garlic, and Ancho Chili

Wilted Kale Salad with Lemon, Garlic, and Ancho Chili

Ingredients

  • 1 bunch lacinato kale, cleaned and chopped
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1/2 small lemon, juiced
  • 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/8 tsp pepper
  • Rounded 1/4 tsp ancho chili powder or paprika
  • 1/4 tsp garlic powder

Method

  1. In a large saute pan, warm the olive oil over medium heat.
  2. Add the kale and saute for about 1 minute. Add the lemon juice and continue cooking for another minute or so until the kale begins to turn bright green.
  3. Add the nutritional yeast, salt, pepper, ancho chili powder, and garlic powder to the kale, stirring to incorporate the seasoning. Taste and adjust seasonings if needed.
  4. Serve hot.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...