Sunday, June 23, 2013

Almond Hemp Milk

I recently had the most amazing and inspiring meal at a local restaurant I had read about on a vegan blog. What I loved about Prasad was that they offered simple vegetarian/vegan food with minimal fuss, yet incredible flavor combinations I'd never have thought of on my own. While I only had a breakfast bowl and drink, I walked away feeling inspired to try making some of their menu items on my own.

This almond hemp milk was inspired entirely by Prasad. The iced dirty chai latte I had featured the milk which was incredibly smooth and delicious. I've been on the hunt for a non-dairy milk alternative for a long time now; store bought or homemade, nothing seemed to work well for drinking plain, putting on oatmeal, or serving with coffee until this! I love this recipe so much and have made 4 batches (including one double batch) in the past week. These two ingredients play so well together--the extra fat from the hemp strengthens the lighter almonds, and the almonds mask the flavor of the hemp. And best of all, it makes for a great latte, hot or iced.

Almond Hemp Milk

Almond Hemp Milk

Ingredients

  • 1 C raw almonds, soaked overnight
  • 3 tbsp raw hemp seeds
  • 4 C water
  • 1/2 vanilla bean
  • 3 Medjool dates
  • Pinch of salt

Method

  1. Combine the almonds, hemp seeds, and water in a high-speed blender. Blend until smooth, about 45-60 seconds.
  2. Strain the liquid in a nutmilk bag or fine sieve, then return the liquid to the blender and add the remaining ingredients.
  3. Blend the mixture again until smooth.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...