Friday, December 25, 2009

Simple Cinnamon Roll Filling

I was watching Everyday Italian the other day and Giada was making hazelnut cinnamon rolls. Now, I am not a fan of hazelnut but got to thinking how good walnuts might be in its place. Next thing you know, I'm making cinnamon rolls with apples, cherries, and walnuts.

One of the best cinnamon rolls I've ever had, if not the best, were those a coworker brought in at work. Let me tell you, they were so good I think I ate three of them (and they were HUGE)! There's no way I'll ever get that recipe and I'd be lucky to stumble across anything as good.

If you're not into making bread dough, try store bought dough as Giada recommends. Otherwise, any sweet dough will do. Roll out your dough into rectangles.

Simple Cinnamon Roll Filling

Ingredients

  • 1/2 cup butter, melted
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 2 tsp cinnamon
  • 2 tsp nutmeg
  • 1/8 tsp ground cloves
  • Dash vanilla extract
Optional mix-ins:
  • 1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored, and diced
  • 1/4 C dried cherries or cranberries, diced
  • 1/4 C walnuts, chopped

Method

  1. Mix ingredients thoroughly in a bowl. Add optional mix-ins, if desired.
  2. Spread evenly onto dough, then roll, cut, and bake as normal.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...