Sunday, December 13, 2009

It has been a long time since my last posting and a lot has happened since. Two books I've read recently have really changed my perspective on food--Food, Inc and Animal, Vegetable, Miracle. I definitely recommend both books, but they really make you think.

Ideally, I'd love to be able to grow and prepare more of my food, but that's not really realistic. I have, however, been enjoying making my own applesauces, chai tea, and bagels in recent weeks, and right now, that's about as good as I can do.

One recipe I did learn from Animal, Vegetable, Miracle is for yogurt cheese. It's a bit like a soft cream cheese. Simple drain yogurt over several layers of cheesecloth overnight. I like to salt mine as well to bring out the flavor. Spread over bagels, English muffins, and so on as you would cream cheese. It's tangy, easy to make, and a fresh alternative to cream cheese.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...