Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Basic Vegan Muffins

I recently found a great vegan blog that has a ton of baked goods. I'm not vegan, nor do I intend to become vegan anytime soon, but I do like the idea of cutting out some animal products. And hey, if it tastes good, why not?!

I made these brownies this weekend, though I admit, not vegan. Using margarine sounds kind of gross, so I instead used butter. The pumpkin gives them a nice fudginess that I love, though there is a slightly strange taste that goes along with it.

My other recipe is for vegan muffins and really, they are just as good as "normal" muffins.

Basic Vegan Muffins

Ingredients

  • 1 1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • 1 carrot, shredded
  • 3 medium apples, peeled and shredded
  • 1- 1/4 cups oat milk
  • ¼ cup oil
  • 1 citrus fruit (lemon or orange), zested and juiced
  • ½ cup dried fruits
  • ½ cup walnuts, chopped

Method

  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease two muffin tins (I used one regular and one mini).
  2. In a medium bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. In a large bowl, combine shredded carrot, shredded apple and milk and mix until well-combined. Add oil, citrus zest and juice.
  3. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients in two batches until just combined. Fold in dried fruit and chopped walnuts.
  4. Fill muffin tins 2/3 of the way full. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
  5. Turn out onto a rack to fully cool.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...