Tuesday, April 3, 2012

How to Cut Pineapple...the right way!

Did you know there's more than one way to cut a pineapple? Odds are, you're doing it wrong. And so was I.

Instead of ineffectively attempting to explain how to do it, watch this video. It starts off slow, but wait until 1:40 when your mind will be blown:


I used to pass buy whole pineapples at the grocery store (even on special!) because it always felt so wasteful to buy one and throw what felt like at least half to two-thirds of it away. At the same time, the precut stuff is too expensive to justify.

I did a test using the "right" method of cutting a pineapple and calculated the cost per pound of the pineapple when cut by hand. My original pineapple was on special for $0.99/lb and I determined the price of the cut-by-you pineapple to be $2.50/lb. Compare that to the $4.99/lb at several grocery stores in the area! I'm definitely more likely to buy one as a special treat once in a while knowing how to cut it and the "real" price per pound.

DIY bonus: With proper planning, you can make tepache - a lightly fermented pineapple drink - with the leftover rind and core of the pineapple. (I found a recipe in this book from the library, though there are similar ones online)

1 comment:

Tammy said...

beautiful. that guy is a pro! and I need a knife like that I guess... lol

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...