Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Green Tea (Matcha) Latte

I've been indulging in green tea lattes for at least the past month or so, both at home and at coffee shops. It's funny because I used to hate the stuff but I've grown to love it as my tastes have changed over the years.

Green tea, or "matcha", is available at some specialty grocery stores in bulk or in small tea canisters in the regular tea aisle. Of course it's also readily available at Asian grocery stores and online. I've purchased in bulk and in the prepackaged containers and I must say, I think the containers are a better value! When I bought it at my grocery store, it was about $80/lb which is insane! Pricing can vary greatly depending on the quality of the tea in canisters, from food grade to tea ceremony grade. For everyday drinking in tea lattes, I recommend getting a lower grade (cheaper) tea and work up from there if you're feeling splurgy.

Matcha and Prepared Matcha Latte

Green Tea Latte

Ingredients

  • 6oz milk (dairy or plain non-dairy)
  • 1 tsp matcha
  • 1 tsp honey/agave, or to taste

Method

  1. Heat the milk in a small saucepan over medium heat. Optionally heat in the microwave. Do not allow to boil.
  2. In a small bowl, whisk the matcha and a small amount of milk into a slurry, working out any matcha lumps. Pour this slurry into the main milk mixture and whisk until blended.
  3. Add the sweetener and serve.

**Can also be prepared with an espresso steamer wand. Combine all ingredients in the milk pitcher and steam until hot.

Makes 1 serving.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...