Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Blueberry Sorbet

Funny story...my aunt and I decided to go out blueberry picking. We went on a nice, cool morning last week, intending to get a few pounds (I was thinking five tops). A couple hours later we stop and think maybe we went a bit overboard with our picking--which is very easy to do. After all was said and done, we ended up with 16.6 pounds of blueberries in the car, oops!

I've been trying to make some things using up my share of the blueberries, but you can only eat so many baked goods at a time. So far, I've frozen 8 cups, given 4 away, used 6 for the sorbet (recipe to follow), 2 for scones, and have about another 5 or so left. Needless to say, I'll be baking something up again tonight.

Blueberry Sorbet

Blueberry Sorbet

Sunset Magazine, June 2008

Ingredients

  • 1 cup water
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 6 cups fresh (or frozen) blueberries
  • 3 tbsp lemon juice

Method

  1. Bring water and sugar to a boil; add salt and simmer 2 minutes. Transfer to a metal bowl and cool to room temperature (I put mine in the fridge for 15 minutes or so to speed up the process).
  2. In a blender, puree sugar syrup, blueberries, and lemon juice. Strain mixture through a fine sieve to remove blueberry skins. Cover and chill at least 30 minutes.
  3. Freeze in ice cream maker (about 30 minutes in a Cuisinart machine) and transfer to freezer container.

I love this recipe because it's easy to make and everyone loves it. It only takes a few ingredients from the pantry and its done in about an hour, start to finish. Best of all, it uses up a bunch of blueberries!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...