Thursday, May 10, 2012

Coconut Cream Oatmeal

Improvisation sometimes leads to inspired creations in the kitchen which is pretty exciting when it turns out for the better. This "recipe" came together this morning when I reached for some cream to top my oatmeal only to discover it had gone bad (serves me right for keeping it around for over a month!). Luckily I had just opened a pack of coconut cream I used to make ice cream just yesterday.

It's a simple idea really: use coconut cream to top oatmeal instead of dairy cream. Coconut cream is thicker than regular cream which I quite enjoyed. A little bit decadent in itself, I also added a few more toppings to my oatmeal: fresh flaxseed meal, pecan pieces, and a drizzle of maple syrup. Yum!

Oatmeal with coconut cream

You can see in the picture that the coconut cream gets a little melty and starts to blend in with the toppings. It also adds a subtle hint of coconut flavor, adding a slight twist to your standard morning bowl of oats.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...