Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Lavender Cinnamon Simple Syrup + Soda

I made this syrup to drizzle over a simple cake I made on a whim. I spotted a jar of lavender in my pantry and ran with the inspiration! I must admit, while I've had that jar in my pantry and have several stashed recipes that call for lavender, this was my first time actually using lavender (though not the first time tasting it). This syrup is a little florally and a little spicy from the cinnamon and I love it! I'm even enjoying a glass of lavender cinnamon soda as I type :)

Lavender Cinnamon Simple Syrup

Ingredients

  • 1/4 C water
  • 1/4 C sugar
  • 1/4 tsp food grade lavender
  • 1 cinnamon stick

Method

  1. In a small saucepan, combine the ingredients. Bring to a boil over medium heat, then reduce heat to low and simmer for no more than 5 minutes.
  2. Remove cinnamon stick and strain solids. Note: I like to keep the lavender flowers if using over a cake as the flowers act as a bit of a garnish.

Serving ideas

  • Drizzle over an entire cake or individual slices to add an extra layer of flavor and moisture.
  • Serve as a soda drink by combining 1 tbsp syrup per 6oz club soda.
  • Sweeten up a glass of iced or hot tea.
  • Swirl into a yogurt and granola parfait.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...