Monday, July 9, 2012

Kid Friendly Special Diet Recipes

Cooking for special diets can be a challenge, but with enough resources (time, money, patience) it can be an exciting adventure! New ingredients to play around with, new recipes to hunt down and try. The internet is a great place to find resources for special diets, like vegan, gluten-free, paleo, primal, raw, etc.

I stumbled upon Elena's Pantry some time ago. All her recipes look delicious, but it wasn't until I had the opportunity to whip up some goodies with my mom for a friend did I ever get around to trying her recipes. The problem I have with a lot of gluten-free recipes is all the special flours you have to buy to replicate AP flour! Elena uses a lot of almond meal and flour which is much more accessible and even has some protein.

Here are some of the kid friendly paleo, gluten-free, and sugar-free goodies we've made!

No Potato Salad

A surprise favorite of the gluten-free/paleo adventure is this no potato salad, which replaces the potato of the summer favorite salad with cauliflower.

Vanilla Roasted Walnuts

So simple and good! The kitchen fills with the scent of sweet vanilla as they cook. I can tell you these are quite addicting! And they're vegan :)

Carrot Cake Cupcakes

The texture of almond flour cupcakes isn't completely like their traditional counterpart, but I don't mind. They might be slightly spongier, but just as good topped with cream cheese frosting!

Vegan Herb Crackers

You'd never guess these were vegan, nor will you even miss animal or gluten products. Mix things up with your own blend of dried herbs.

I'd love to experiment further with these and other paleo, gluten-free, and sugar free recipes. What should I make next?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...