Sunday, July 8, 2012

Summer Berry Shake

There's nothing like fresh summer berries, whether plucked from the vine by hand or purchased at a farmer's market. Raspberries have always been one of my favorite berries and I can never get enough of them. I picked some up at the farmer's market over the weekend and man are they good!

This recipe is based on one I discovered a couple years ago, the origins of which I cannot remember. I always used frozen strawberries to make it, but adapted it to use fresh (non-frozen) fruit and of course, raspberries. Feel free to use whatever berries you like and/or have on hand. If using frozen, replace the ice with an equal part of water. It makes an excellent light snack or dessert.



Summer Berry Shake


Ingredients

  • 1/2 lb berries (strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, etc)
  • 3-4 pitted dates
  • Pinch salt
  • 1 C water
  • 1 C ice
  • 1/4 vanilla bean or 1/4 tsp vanilla, optional

Method

  1. Combine all ingredients in a blender. Blend at highest speed until smooth.
  2. Taste and adjust for sweetness (dates) and consistency (water/ice).

Makes 2 servings.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...