Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Raw Zucchini Salad

I'm not generally a big fan of zucchini, I quickly get tired of the taste so it's relegated to baked goods (zucchini brownies, anyone??). It's still early yet this season and I was intrigued by a recipe I saw recently.

This salad is light, refreshing, and good enough that I think I'll make it at least once this summer season! I didn't have shallot on hand, nor did I use slivered almonds or fresh herbs, but it was still good none the less. I think the addition of fresh thyme would be fantastic with the lemon flavor of the salad, maybe next time?

Raw Zucchini Salad

Ingredients

  • 2 zucchinis, julienned
  • 1 tbsp minced shallot
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 tbsp lemon juice
  • Olive oil, about 1-2 tbsp
  • Fresh black pepper, to taste
  • 1/4 C toasted slivered almonds, optional
  • 1/4 fresh herbs (thyme would be lovely), optional

Method

  1. Place zucchini in a bowl and sprinkle with 1 tsp salt. Toss an additional teaspoon of salt and let stand for about 15 minutes, or until softened and limp.
  2. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix the shallot, garlic, and lemon juice to make a dressing.
  3. Drain the zucchini, then taste for salt, rinsing if too strong. Toss the zucchini with just enough olive oil to coat, then add the dressing.
  4. Season with pepper and taste for lemon juice and salt. Garnish with nuts and herbs.

This salad could easily be made ahead of time for guests or a picnic. Store the salted and rinsed zucchini in the fridge, then toss with the olive oil and dressing prior to serving.

1 comment:

Tammy said...

Yum! I just made a zucchini pasta dish last night- you parboil the zucchini for 2 minutes and the sauce is bacon & tomatoes... haven't gotten the post up yet but I think you would love it :P

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...