Thursday, September 29, 2011

Roasted Beets + Greens

Yep, I went there. Beets have always been a mystery vegetable to me and even though I had previously never encountered one, I was always semi afraid of them. Unfortunately for me, my CSA box this week had a bunch tucked inside. So I did my research and found a couple beet and beet green recipes. One of the first recipe hits had nearly 300 reviews and 4.5 stars, how could I go wrong?

The beet greens have a surprisingly neutral taste, milder than kale even. As such, I think they would make a great accompaniment to other sauteed vegetables and no one would be the wiser. The beets themselves are nice and tender, slightly sweet. I have a feeling I'll be buying beets at least once this fall.




Roasted Beets + Greens

Ingredients

  • One bunch beets (about 6), washed and separated
  • Olive oil
  • 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/4 C onion, finely chopped
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • 1 tbsp sherry vinegar

Method

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place beets in a glass baking dish, adding enough olive oil to toss and coat. Cover pan with foil and bake for about 60 minutes, or until beets tender.
  2. Tear beet green leaves from the hard red stems, roughly chopping the leaves.
  3. After beets are done cooking, saute garlic and onion in olive oil until slightly golden. Add beet greens and cook until slightly wilted. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat.
  4. Slice beets. To serve, place beet greens over sliced beets and add sherry vinegar over the top. Season with additional salt and pepper if needed.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...