Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Ruhlman's Twenty Chapter 1: Thinking

I'll be the first to admit: I fail this step all the time. I start cooking a recipe, thinking I know what I'm doing and then POW! I've forgotten to add a critical ingredient or don't have all the things I need to complete the recipe.

Lessons learned:

  1. Read the recipe through from start to finish and think about the motions of each step, what the dish should look like at each step (ingredient color/ visual doneness, sauce thickening and reduction, etc.)
  2. Set up your mis en place before starting to cook. Cut up any ingredients, gather spices, get out your pans and cooking utensils and ensure everything is orderly and in place before beginning. Anything less will end up cluttering not only your space, but also your mind, and make you less efficient.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...