Wednesday, January 16, 2013

DIY Sprouting Jar

I've been wanting to make my own sprouts after spending an insane amount on some tasty prepackaged organic ones. I finally bought the seeds months later but opted not to spend even more money on a large sprouting jar. Cost aside, where would I even store it? Sprouting jars are pretty tall, which allow you to sprout a lot at once, but the large size seems cumbersome to fit in a cupboard. So I came up with this homemade solution using two things I have in my kitchen: a leftover glass jar and an in-mug tea strainer.

The photo below shows the sprouts prior to draining during a twice a day rinse. The tea strainer is great because it allows water to easily get in and drain out.

DIY Sprouting Jar

Find a glass jar with a mouth sized appropriately for your tea strainer; I used an old pasta sauce jar. Put your sprout seeds into the jar, put the tea strainer over the mouth of the jar, then moisten, drain, sprout, and rinse your seeds per the sprout packet instructions!

1 comment:

Tammy said...

how come I didn't think of this? simply brilliant!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...