Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Sweet and Spicy Almonds

I found this recipe for spiced pecans a while back and filed it away. A couple days ago I finally came around to making it with the almonds I had on hand.

I'm not 100% sold on the final product, but I'm sure they'll grow on me :)


Sweet and Spicy Nuts

2 tbsp butter
3 cups nuts (the original recipe calls for pecan halves)
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 tbsp cumin
2 tsp chile powder
1 tsp paprika
1/4 cup cider vinegar
salt to taste

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees with rack in middle.
  2. In a large saucepan or skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add nuts and saute until slightly browned (3-5 minutes). Stir in sugar and cook for about 1 minute until a bit caramelized. Keep a close watch on the mixture because it burns quickly! (Personal experience tells me...a burned the first mixture--oops!) Don't be afraid to turn down the temperature, use your instincts. Add in the spices and vinegar, stir until cider has evaporated. Season with salt.
  3. Spread nuts on a pan in an even layer and bake for 5-10 minutes until crisp.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...