Saturday, November 10, 2012

Ruhlman's Twenty Chapter 5: Acid

I'm not typically one to reach for acids when cooking; in rare cases, I will use lemon juice or rice vinegar, though I am quite addicted to dijon mustard on sandwiches...

Given that it's one of the five taste sensations, perhaps it's time I pay more attention to this element in my cooking?

Lessons Learned:

  • Acids come in the following forms: vinegar, citrus juice, pickles (fruits or vegetables), sour fruits, wine, mustard, sour vegetables, and cultured dairy products.
  • Acid is used in cheese making, forming the curds from the milk.

My favorite "lesson" in all this is the possibility of using vinegar in desserts--cider vinegar tart sounds intriguing and delicious!! This is definitely going on my list to make

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...