Thursday, November 1, 2012

Vegan Cashew Sour Cream

I used to hate sour cream, but in recent years started to love it. The thing I don't love about it, though, is having to buy so much in a container! Most times I just want a small dollop to put on chili or quesadillas, you know? I will admit, cashew sour cream doesn't have quite the same flavor on its own, it does have a similar mouthfeel when accompanying other items.

I got this recipe quickly when I was in the kitchen one day from the Whole Foods app, but scaled it down for my own needs.

Vegan Cashew Sour Cream

Adapted from Whole Foods Market

Ingredients

  • 1/2 C raw cashews
  • Boiling water
  • 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
  • 1/2 tsp lemon juice
  • Pinch salt

Method

  1. Place the cashews into a bowl or glass measuring cup and pour enough boiling water over the top to cover by about an inch. Let sit for 10-15 minutes, then drain.
  2. In a high speed blender, blend the drained cashews, vinegar, lemon juice, and salt until creamy and smooth, about 1 minute. Serve.

This recipe makes about half a cup, which was enough for several bowls of chili!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...